Friday, November 6, 2009

A Gold Nugget on Marriage

A person panning for gold often works for hours or days or months to find that one valuable gold nugget. Life can be like that. I try to learn all I can, and sometimes I get blessed with a gold nugget—something I learn or remember that significantly helps my life. I want to add the gold nuggets I learn to this blog.

Today I want to start with a marriage gold nugget. This came courtesy of my husband’s instruction. He said to me, “Why don’t you ever make me a favorite meal to show me how much you appreciate my hard work?” Which is funny, because I only cook the foods he likes. And I try to regularly tell him thanks for working and to encourage him. But a lightbulb went on in my head: I can tie those things together for a double whammy. I can actually give more meaning to what I am already doing just by attaching a greater verbal reason to it. When I clean the house a little better than usual, I can say, “I cleaned the house extra good for you because you’ve been working so hard to provide for us.” Or, if I add candy to his lunch, I can say, “I added peanut butter cups to your lunch today as a treat for you because you are such a great father and you spend time with the kids everyday. So this is a reward.” Now, I was already putting the peanut butter cups in anyway, but this makes it more special for him. And I am doing it as a way to show love and appreciation, I just need to remember to tell him that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great advice Katie. Thank you so much. I never thought of it that way either. I'm always making my husband the food he likes and doing special things for him, but I never come out and say "this is because you work so hard". I just assumed he would know that this is one of the ways that I show my love to him and I didn't have to actually say it out loud. I'll give it a try. Roberta M., California